10 jobs to do in July
1. Dead head flowering plant to extend flowering period.
2. Hoe up weeds that will be completing for water, light and nutrients.
3. Keep an eye out for pests and diseases and spray as necessary.
4. With the wet spring there is an epidemic of slugs and snails. Use slug pellets containing Ferric Phosphate that are harmless to animals and wild life when used as directed.
5. Thin out the fruit on newly planted fruit trees otherwise the branches could break under the weight.
6. Don’t forget the birds and keep bird baths topped up with water.
7. Make sure tomatoes don’t dry out otherwise you will get blossom end rot and split skin.
8. Prune stone fruits such as plums and cherries if necessary.
9. Keep ponds aerated and toped up.
10. Water tubs and baskets regularly.
10 plants to enjoy in July
4. Centaurea (Cornflower)
6. Potentilla fruticsa “Goldfinger”
7. Lathyrus (Sweet Pea)
8. Achillea (Yarrow)
9. Campanula (Canterbury Bells)
10. Eryngium (Sea Holly)