10 jobs to do in August
1. Make sure plants in containers don’t dry out.
2. If you have or are considering an automatic watering system make sure you get it up and running a couple of weeks before going away.
3. Deadhead Roses to extend the flowering period.
4. Take softwood cuttings of Geraniums.
5. Start to harvest second early potatoes when they have finished flowering and before the tops die off.
6. Keep an eye out for potato blight and harvest as soon as it is spotted to prevent blight getting down to the tubers.
7. Keep hoeing up weeds that will be competing for water, light and nutrients.
8. Lift onions & garlic and allow them to dry off before storing.
9. Harvest crops such as runner beans to make sure they are nice and tender.
10. Cut back blackcurrants after you have picked the fruit.
10 plants to enjoy in August
1. Summer bedding plants will be at their best.
4. Acanthus Mollis (Bear’s Breeches)
5. Agapanthus Africanus (African Blue Lily)
6. Cistus x Argenteus ‘Silver Pink’ (Rock Rose)
7. Santolina Chamaecyparissus (Cotton Lavender)
8. Passiflora Caerulea (Blue Passion Flower)
9. Caryopteris x Clandonensis ‘Heavenly Blue
10. Lavatera ‘Barnsley’ (Shrubby Mallow)